Today’s guest post comes from my friend Christel, whom I’ve known for about four years now. Wow, how time passes! We met on a writing website and the girl is a reading fiend. Check out her blog and this wonderful recipe.
Chicken Florentine Lasagna
What you will need:
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used leftover roasted chicken from Saturday’s dinner.)
- Lasagna noodles (about 12 halfway boiled)
- 1 pkg. frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 quart lowfat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tea. salt, 1/2 tea. pepper, 1 tea. basil, 1/2 tea. oregano
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese (1/2 c. for cottage cheese mixture)
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 roma tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 Tbl. flour
- 2 cups milk
What to do:
- Boil the noodles.
- Mix chicken, spinach, cottage cheese, egg, seasonings & 1/2 cup of swiss into bowl & blend.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour to butter, stirring often for 2 minutes.
- Add milk to butter/flour mixture. Season to taste.
- Chop the onion & slice the tomato. Usually you can do this while stirring the rue (white sauce).
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spread a little sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Layer noodles, cheese mixture, sprinkle onions & mushrooms. (You can chop your mushrooms, but I left them sliced from the package.)
- Spread a fine layer of white sauce & season slightly.
- Repeat with noodles, etc. This should be 3 layers w/ noodles on top.
- On the top, arrange sliced tomatoes & remaining swiss. Season to taste.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
Serve this with a salad and VIOLA! Seriously, this is “THE BOMB” (verbatim from my man). Plus, I used ingredients I had on hand. The tomatoes really added a pop of color to boot! 🙂
Thanks for sharing Christel!
1 thought on “Chicken Florentine Lasagna”