That’s right, I have another tasty treat for you. Umi LOVES these. I doubt they’re on my “diet” plan, but they’re damn good now and then, especially when I don’t feel like making an entire pan of lasagna.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Italian sausage links, casing removed
- 1 cup marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 24 2-inch won ton wrappers
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 12-cup standard muffin tin or coat with nonstick spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat and stir in marinara sauce.
- Season ricotta cheese with salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.
- Fit wonton wrappers into each of the 12 muffin tins, pressing carefully to make sure there is an opening in the center. Fill each cup with 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese. Top with 1 tablespoon marinara mixture and 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese; repeat with one more layer.
- Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the wonton wrappers are golden brown.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
I don’t care for ricotta cheese so I just use mozzarella there too, and I use grass fed organic hamburger because nitrates are bad for you (found in sausage unless homemade). I also pre-bake the shells for about 5 minutes. Believe me, it makes a world of difference. Of course, I make my own marinara, but it’s up to you. I’ve linked my recipe if you’re interested. You could also alter this recipe to make Taco cups.